Source: A “living” culture blend propagated from our carefully managed continuous solera fermentation.
Sour Solera™ Blend contains a unique and complex collection of Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and other funky yeast and souring bacteria pulled from an active fermentation. This blend can sour in a matter of months at 70ºF or higher, or if you prefer a more prolonged fermentation, use large amounts of aged hops and/or ferment and hold at temperatures below 70ºF.
Many lab-produced multi-species culture blends fail to reproduce the richness and complexity of traditional lambic-style fermentations in their first effort. This can be a result of artificially slamming together cultures after pulling them directly from the freezer.
This blend is available seasonally, and will always be changing and evolving due to the nature of solera fermentations. Warning: No two Sour Solera™ Blend releases will be the same, and neither will their fermentations.
- Type: Yeast & Lactic Acid Bacteria blend. Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and other wild variants.
- Pitching Rate: Directly pitchable into 5 gallons of 1.050 or lower wort
- Estimated Attenuation: 96%-100%
- Estimated Final pH: 3.2-3.5
- Flavor/Aroma Profile: Funky, Sour; varies batch-to-batch
- Flocculation: Low to medium; Higher with prolonged aging
- Recommended Fermentation Temperature:
- For quick souring (less than 3 months): 70-80ºF
- For gradual souring: below 70ºF